RE: WRKO Update

Well, WBZ's good signal in Chicopee is easy to explain.
The signal is the equvalent of 200 kW ND day and night
into a minimally efficient antenna. WRKO's good signal
is hard to explain, however. In that direction, WRKO
sends out the equivalent of about 3 kW daytime and much
less at night. Except for periods shortly after sunrise
and shortly before sunset, when the station is on day
pattern but "nighttime" conditions prevail, picking up
the station should require a very good radio, carefully
oriented and a minimum of man-made noise. Nighttime
reception ought to be a rare occurrence unless you are
using a communications receiver and a good antenna.

I have heard WRKO myself, quite clearly, shortly after
sunrise in Troy, NY. Troy must be nearly 100 miles west
(and somewhat north) of Chicopee. However, in that case,
I was clearly picking up daytime skywave.