Re: 89.3 pirate

Ha! I made a pun and didn't even realize it! Yes,
beer.com is a real provider of email (saw an ad for
them once) and not just a made-up "dot.com"...

--- Chuck Igo <chuckdrankth@beer.com> wrote:
> As you can see, it is a legitimate email domain and
> server.
> (server? another one, please!)

> too bad Bob doesn't have a ratings diary.  89.3
> would have a
> pretty good tsl on his entries alone!

True! And I wonder how well Radio Free Vermont
showed up in the Rutland ratings...By the way, my
feelings on pirates? In some ways I admire them
because they can play some offbeat stuff you wouldn't
normally hear, and their very existence points out
that there are lots of people out there would want to
be on the air but the FCC is so restrictive about
letting stations on...

But guess what: as much as some people would want to
get rid of the FCC, they do one service: making sure
that there's no interference from unauthorized
stations. Example: Suppose I go on my station,
WMWM at Salem State (91.7) and start doing my show
but suddenly no-one can hear me because some pirate
elsewhere in Salem decides to broadcast 100 watts
at 91.5! Suddenly, a licensed station is being jammed
by an unlicensed station...

Maybe some feel the FCC was incorrect when they shut
down Radio Free Allston (106.1) after getting
complaints from WROR (105.7) and WMJX (106.7). "Hey,
a 106.1 wouldn't interfere with them"... But what if
RFA had gone on at 105.9 or 106.5? Then you'd praise
the FCC for stepping in.

(In the case of Tickle Spider Radio, being at 89.3
around here means that no nearby stations are
affected but if TSR were to set up at 89.5 or 89.9
they'd affect reception of WGBH, etc....)

> i remember when a couple of the older kids in our
> North
> Cambridge neighborhood took a RadioShack mitter and
> put out a
> couple of cookin' watts and allowed us all to play
> dj on WART.
> (circa 1971)
> only wished i'd save some of the reel-to-reel
> airchecks.
>
> - -Chuck (drank th(at)(@)beer.com) Igo
>
> Beer Mail, brought to you by your friends at
beer.com.