Re: Celtics on WWZN

In a message dated Sat, 21 Apr 2001  9:02:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Mark Shneyder <bostonradio@yahoo.com> writes:

<< Sarandis was likely going to be the next Celtics radio voice in
*if* 1) Rick Pitino was still with the C's(they are good friends
since the days when Pitino was a young asst. coach at Syracuse and
Sarandis was a student there in the 70's) -and- 2) had
the C's stayed at 'EEI for the next 5 years. >>

While Sarandis and Pitino are close, Sarandis has known Chris Wallace and Leo Papile for nearly as long as he's been friendly with Pitino. (Granted, they are only the top two basketball folks in the organization, though I am sure they may have some pull.) If I were Vulcan, I would want to hire Sarandis since he is a known quantity in the Boston market and would immediately bring some listeners over to 1510, especially if he had a talk-show presence. I'm really sorry to see Howard David go, though, since I thought he was an extraordinarily talented basketball play-by-play announcer.

<< The Herald mentioned yesterday that MSG's radio voice(Rangers)
Spence Ross, who briefly handled C's call(95/96 and 96/97 seasons),
is one of the candidates for the vacant C's p-b-p job.... >>

I wasn't a big fan of Ross and Maxwell when they did games the first time around, then again I was more upset that the Celtics had broken up another good announcing team (Ordway and Jerry Schieting, I know I spelled his name wrong.)

<< Speaking of ESPN, late last night/early this morning
I heard WEEI carrying ESPN Radio and not the usual SportsFan fare. >>

Just hit Sports Fan's web site and it didn't mention anything of an impending demise -- yet. However, it also seems that 25 percent or more of their broadcast day are reruns of talk shows (yuck). They've also dropped several shows, including Nancy Donellan and James Brown, among others.

-Sean