Re: Bad Air: the Death of Local Radio ...

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 RadioTony@aol.com wrote:

> http://www.townonline.com/metro/boston/09992574.htm

Sounds like the newspaper pot is calling the radio kettle black.
townonline.com is owned by the Herald if I remember right, and they just
bought about a zillion suburban papers, including two are in my home town
(both the Needham Times and the Needham Tab (ex-Chronicle) are now owned
by the same company). If they're honestly concerned about media
consolidation they've a strange way of showing it.

The Boston radio dial has a good deal more diversity than Mr. Ortiz would
care to admit. There are the public stations: WBUR, WGBH, and WUMB; there
are numerous college stations, of which the most important are probably
WERS, WMBR, and WHRB; and there are ethnic broadcasters like Mega (I
visted the Mega studios some months ago; Mega is a class act, with live,
locally-produced programming and its own news staff). There are still
three major independent commercial FM's: WFNX, WPLM, and... hmm, now what
were those call letters? Been around since 1948, longest running format in
Boston, you'd think I'd be able to remember them... guess I need a memory
upgrade.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com