Re: No Pride at WSMN

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:54:19 EDT Sptseditor@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated Thu, 19 Apr 2001  2:15:33 PM Eastern Daylight
> Time, Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com> writes:
>
> I would agree that the Monarchs seem in pretty good shape to get a
> media deal, possibly something even with ATT3?

Lowell has a deal with ATT3 but it is sporatic at best. I think an OTA
deal would be better for the Manchester team so the market could be spoon
fed like TV38 did with the Bruins years ago.

><snip>
..
> I am not even sure whether Lowell has an affiliation for next
> season, since the LA Kings (Manchester) and New York Islanders
> (Bridgeport) are switching to full-time affiliations with different
> teams in 2001-02.

I believe I heard the Lock Monsters will have an affiliation with the
Carolina Hurricanes (Hartford Whalers of old) for next season.  In order
for Lowell to survive in the AHL they really need to do a lot better job
at marketing and creating a real interest in the media for coverage, at
least the scores!  When was the last time you heard any hype on a Boston
station for the Calder Cup playoffs, even with the Bruins out of the
Stanley Cup hunt?

As for the UMass Lowell RiverHawks, they also suffer from being too close
to Boston, TV and radio give the 4 Boston teams (college) reasonable
coverage but nothing outside of the city.

df