Re: new FM allocations?

There was a CP for a station to be licensed to Billerica on 720 kHz with 1
kW-D/500W-N DA-2. The station was to use three towers days and three towers
nights with at most one tower common between the day and night arrays. The
day pattern beamed northwest to protect WJIB; the night pattern beamed east
to protect WGN. There was no protection to CHTN, meaning, I think that
Canada was notified of this facility before CHTN applied for its move from
1190 to 720. In other words, the Billerica CP must have been on the books
since the mid-eighties or earlier. The facilities were really absurd because
there was hardly any territory common between the day and night patterns. If
this CP were still on the books, some adjustment in the day pattern might
now be possible because the FCC has apparently relaxed the AM
second-adjacent overlap restrictions, which might make it possible to relax
the protections to WJIB.

Several years ago, however, the FCC cancelled the Billerica CP for failure
to construct and the permittee apparently did not object. I'm sure that if
the proposed station had been viable, which it wasn't, there still would
have been no place to put the transmitter. The use of dual sites might have
improved the station's chances by putting some significant population within
both the day and night service areas, though probably still not enough to
make the proposal practical. And dual-site operation would have compounded
the problem of finding sites.

The demise of this CP made possible Bob Vinokoor's application for a station
on 720 in Claremont or Hanover NH with 50 kW-D/500 W-N DA-2. A CP was
granted but is in trouble because the town will not grant a building permit
for the four towers.

Meanwhile, the FCC published a database of unbuilt AM CPs, and probably due
to an error (what? the FCC makes errors?), the Billerica CP was on it. As
far as I know, this CP is dead and cannot be resurrected unless Vinokoor's
CP is cancelled.