Re: new FM allocations?

>[...] I mean,
>if some people who wanted to establish a non-comm
>station on the North Shore would go to the FCC
>saying 89.3 could be a good frequency, would they
>act? Maybe, maybe not...Somehow I get the idea
>that the FCC doesn't want to allocate any more
>frequencies in this area, and we know how Low Power
>FM is not really going anywhere at the moment...

Anyone who wanted a licensed non-comm on 89.3 would first need to do
an engineering study to see if such a station would be far enough
away from second-adjacents WERS (88.9) and WGBH (89.7).  If it were
far enough away, one could apply for a Class A allocation there.  If
it were not far enough from one or the other (or from any other station
that happened to be co-channel or first, second or third adjacent channel
- meaning anything between 88.7 and 89.9, inclusive), they would have
to get permission from the other station(s) for a short-spaced allocation.

It might be possible, but the initial engineering study would be key.

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu