Re: Nail in streaming's coffin

Since Entercom, despite using a service provider that
offers the technology necessary to keep the AFTRA ads
off the Web, has opted to pull its streams, doesn't it
sound to you as if the AFTRA contract simply provided
the company with a convenient excuse for eliminating an
expense that wasn't producing any revenue?

I gather that none of the geniuses that run these groups
have enough smarts to figure out that, because of the
Web's unlimited geographic reach and the large variety
of signals large groups can offer, the Web need not be a
financial drain but can actually become a significant
revenue source via the national spot load. What's more,
although Arbitron doesn't "measure" Web listening, Web
listening is much more easily and accurately measured
than is listening to over-the-air signals. The
measurement technology is virtually inherent in the
medium.

I guess the problem is that it would probably take
several years to build up the Web-exclusive spot load to
the point where streaming showed a profit. In the
meantime, the nervous stockholders of these highly
leveraged broadcast groups wouldn't tolerate any
expenses ***that they are aware of*** that fail to bring
substantial profits to the bottom line THIS QUARTER.

I think that for a group that's financially able to be
patient there's an opportunity here to cash in big-time.
I can't think of a more likely candiate than Paul Allen.
Sporting News Radio should be streaming its product and
using StreamAudio's technology or the equivalent, even
if the only Web spots they can sell initially are PIs.