Bizarre occurences on the AM dial?

I don't know whether this is my car radio going completely nuts or whether this really did happen, so anyone within earshot of NYC radio, please help me out here...

Tonight while driving to work, I scanned the dial as I usually do, especially this time of year, to see which baseball games, etc., were on the air. My first stop was 660, and it seemed like I was getting Spanish (?!). Totally baffled, I made my next stop at 770, trying to pick up Yankees baseball. Instead, I was treated to Knicks basketball, which one would normally hear down the dial on 660.

So I scan the rest of the NYC stations: 880 comes in as news (per usual), 1010 is unlistenable here at night, 1050 is airing Rangers hockey, 1560 (another sports overflow outlet, where I would expect to hear the Yankees if they weren't on 770) is sticking with the Mouse.

This leads me to believe that, barring a rather bizarre format switch, WFAN was off for the evening for either regularly-scheduled maintenance or due to some calamity. Personally, I could never see a 50kw blowtorch shutting down on a weeknight like tonight, when three games were scheduled for its airwaves, so I am guessing they're off the air for some reason. Can't be a problem at City Island, since WCBS is still on.

I probably put way too much analysis into this, but that's what happens with too much free time at work.

-Sean