Re: Weather cancellations

On 8 Mar 2001, at 14:25, Chris Beckwith wrote:

> And I'll close with this observation:  where does at least one Southern Maine
> radio station get its cancellation info?  The crawl from one of the TV stations
> in Portland.  Why do they do this?  Because that's where the information is; the
> TV stations get called first by schools and event coordinators (quite often to
> the exclusion of most radio stations.)  Don't think for a moment that civilians
> haven't picked up on this.

I don't know which southern Maine radio station you are referring to
but....at the Portland Radio Group (my employer) we ignore what
cancellations are on TV.  The cancellations are coordinated in the
WGAN Newsroom using the StormReady computerized system.
We have an extensive list of schools, businesses, etc. on file with
their own specific codes.  We punch  in the relevant information
and it appears on StormReady, in whatever form we choose.  It is
then distributed to other stations in the building on a timely
schedule.   If a school has called TV but not us, then too bad.
They wont be on any of our stations unless they call.  That is the
law we go by...no exceptions.  I works very well.

Dan Cole