RE: Tunnel Radio

Garrett: My boss, EDN's Executuve Editor, Bill Schweber,
wrote an article for EDN on making cell phones
work inside subways. (Schweber, Bill, "Maintaining
cellular connectivity indoors demands sophisticated
design," EDN, December 21, 2000, Pg 46, also available
at www.ednmag.com.) Now, clearly 900 MHz and 2 GHz are
not the same as 530-1700 kHz or even 88-108 MHz.
However, Bill started work on the article with the
premise that he'd be discussing leaky-coax technology.
After talking with a couple of vendors, he discovered
that leaky coax wasn't the technology of choice; active,
distributed antennas are. Perhaps this approach is not
called for for bringing broadcast signals into tunnels.
I don't know.