Re: non-profit AND commercial radio

Canada allows listener-supported non-profit stations to
run limited numbers of commercials. I'm listening to
such a station via the Internet as I type this--CJRT
91.1 Toronto's Jazz Station (www.cjrt.fm). It's great; I
don't think there's a US station like it--certainly not
a commercial station. The commercials are relatively few
in number and are unobtrusive, and the fund-raising is
about the same as you hear on US listener-supported
stations.

However, while I think Lydon's and McGrath's demands are
excessive, and should give WBUR contributors, including
me, pause before we donate more money to the fat cats, I
think a good case can be made for the marriage of public
radio and entrepreneurship. Certainly, Car Talk has
thrived in such a marriage and brought us the kind of
radio fare that no commercial station or network has
been able to produce. Sure the program has little to do
with cars, but it _is_ funny. It's NPR's biggest revenue
producer, and at least one of the Magliozzi brothers
(Tom) apparently makes a tidy living from it.

Many religious stations and program producers for such
stations do very well under a combination of time
brokerage and listener support. Why shouldn't the same
combination work for stations with secular formats?