Re: smooth jazz

>From: "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 21:23:20 -0500 Bill O'Neil wrote:

  The station sounds almost
>completely voice tracked.  Not sure about AM drive since I've not
>listened then.  Who owns that station? Are their voices 'borrowed' as in
>many new configurations?

WXPS is owned by Clear Channel Communications.  And very likely the station
is mostly voice tracked.  Before Jazz, they tried their luck with a country
format, which didn't last very long against powerhouse WOKO (98.9 FM).  And
to be totally honest, I'm really not sure that smooth jazz is gonna last
very long on this station, as the demographics, at least when I lived in the
Plattsburgh NY area a couple years ago, didn't really favor having a full
time jazz station.  One station actually was planning on doing just that in
1997 but pulled out at the last minute, changed transmitter locations and
community of license, and targeted Cornwall ONT instead (WYUL-FM 94.7 not
sure which community they are licensed to now).

                                                             Matt Osborne
                                                             Rochester, NY