No Subject

However, sometimes it doesn't "last".   A gorup of investors that wanted a
new FM license in Halifax back in the late 80's, got full power 96.5 (Slogan:
"Sun FM").  Thier promise was to do 'beautiful music.'  After a couple years,
they evolved into a Magic type format, and kept after 7 PM with instrumentals
(I actually saw their shelves of video tapes in 1993).  After there was
apparently no negative feedback from the CRTC, they went with the Magic style
format 24/7.

While in a Halifax hotel, I watched cable programming of tape-delayed
same-day gavel-to-gavel CRTC hearings on would-be station applicants, and for
3 hours, I watched hopeful-licensees make lots of promises in person to the
CRTC "judges." And the 'judges' were asking back many questions just like the
Supreme Court (US) does.   Quite interesting.

In contrast, when a license transfer (or new station) is before the FCC, part
of the application requires a "planned programming description."   A
statement such as "We will program music and news (example) to the service
area in a way not duplicated by other stations, and we shall air comminuty
information"  almost always is accepted.   No one ever has to go to
Washington DC to appear before the judges.
(unless its a contested frequency).

----jibguy

In a message dated 1/12/01 9:12:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,