Re: WJIB-740-CHWO

<<On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:00:42 -0500, "Roger Kirk" <rogerkirk@ttlc.net> said:

> Based on conversations with Canadian Radio Station
> people, Can Con (or MAPL) is most applicable to AM.

It is applicable to any music format.  The precise percentage is
specified in the station's license; it can vary from 35% up to 50%.
It was a problem for AM music stations because they tend to play songs
from eras where Canadian music was not as successful.  (Many Canadian
musicians believe that their modern success has come about precisely
because of Can-Con, which is why the principal Canadian music award is
the Juno; it is named after Al Juneau, the CRTC chairman who
introduced Can-Con in the first place.)  Station licenses also specify
the sort of programming to be broadcast, and (for music formats) the
percentage of ``hits'' to be played.  (Don't ask.)

> migrated to FM, I believe) and he said the Can Con
> requirements %age was due to be raised.

The absolute minimum was raised from 25% to 35% a few years ago.

-GAWollman

(I figured my Can-Con .signature was particularly apposite:)