Re: 740-Toronto [but really WPLM-FM rebutt]

At 12:44 PM 12/21/00 -0500, Larry Weil wrote:
>At 11:32 AM -0500 12/21/00, Bill Piacentini wrote:
>>... locally-owned WPLM-FM 99.1 with perhaps the largest playlist in the
>>free world playing a unique blend of great music by great artists in
>>wishing everyone success in its third year (and second century) of its
>>unique format!
>Nah!  I'll bet WERS and many other college stations have a much larger
>playlist, considering all the different formats that WERS plays over the
>course of a week.
>WPLM may have a large library, but it seems they are playing much less of
>it than they used to.  They have a much larger ratio of soft rock to adult
>standards now than they did when they first came on as the "new" WPLM
>approx. two years ago.
Me exaggerate? Good discerning on your part. There seems to be a shifting
the past (calendar) year toward less standards and more soft rock. There is
also less input (freedom) from the on-air (or lately, voice-tracked)
personalities on the current hour's playlist. I think they are trying for a
younger median age without alienating the "old" audience. It's a delicate
balance. When I hear Ron Della Chiesa doing an hour of Elvis or even Barry
Manilow on weekend evenings then I'll know they've gone too far!
Happy Twelve Days of Christmas! Happy Hanukkah!Happy Holidays, Season's
Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Yuletide Greetings, Happy
Winter Solstice, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Year, Feliz Navidad, Habari Gani

Bill Piacentini