Re: It was a no-brainer for NBC, actually

In a message dated 11/26/00 9:48:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
beckwith@ime.net writes:

<< Surely you meant ABC???>>

Yes, I did.

<< Anyway, I can't blame NBC for not airing the ceremony.  Not only did they
pay a mint for airing Titanic during a sweeps period, the event was purely
symbolic. >>

That's bogus thinking.  My guess is they paid more for the baseball playoffs,
which they pre-empted for a made for TV "debate."

I'm not suggesting that they pre-empt the movie for hours of talking heads.
They should have cut away for 5 to 10 minutes at 7:30 PM and for 5 to 10
minutes at 9:30 PM and then rejoined the movie from where they left off.
People could see the movie in it's entirety and the only problem is that the
11 PM news would be delayed by 15 to 20 minutes,

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine