Re: Magic 850 WYLF dunks WEEI

Well, my understanding had been that if a station opts to become a
full-timer, it loses the option of using the higher PSSA power. The station
is still operating legally if it stays on only for the two post-sunset hours
(as long as it operates after local sunset with its night facilities), or,
for that matter, if it signs off at local sunset. However, my impression is
that a station that holds a license to operate full time can't use the
higher PSSA power after sunset. Class D fulltime stations are unique in not
being _required_ to operate at night.

The situatation with PSRAs is different. A full-time station can hold a PSRA
and use it or not at its discretion. WXKS (AM) is an example. The 500W ND
PSRA provides much better coverage of the market than does the 1 kW DA-N
facility. So when whoever (if anyone) is in charge of the AM at 99
RevereBeach Parkway remembers to switch to ND with 500W at 6:00 AM at this
time of year, the station operates that way. And if nobody remembers, the
station remains on DA with 1 kW until sunrise--that is, if, at the previous
sunset, they remembered to go to DA and reduce power and also if they didn't
screw up and switch to the PSRA facilities instead of the night facilities
the previous evening.

Now, if a major-market station owned by America's largest radio group can't
get _that_ drill straight, imagine how few daytimers on Class A channels
manage to get _their_ PSSA operations straight. Such stations are authorized
different post-sunset powers in each month! That's 12 different power levels
(all of which are usually in the single digits--to the left of the decimal
point). Moreover, the last-time I corresponded on this issue with LPB (the
leading manufacturer of the low-power transmitters that most of these
stations use after sunset), the company had not implemented a scheme to
allow the power levels to be remotely programmed. Such a scheme is
absolutely within the state of the art and wouldn't be all that expensive.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367