Re: NYTimes article on John R. Gambling

I think the possibilities for Gambling come down to WABC
(yeah, right), WEVD, WBBR, and WNSW. I don't know Bill
Mazur's age and whether he is a WEVD employee or if he
leases and resells the time. If he's an employee and is
ready to pack it in, Gambling would be a natural
replacement--assuming that WEVD could come to terms with
him. If Mazur leases the time, I guess that all Gambling
would have to do is make WEVD a better offer.

I'm sure that if Gambling wanted to lease AM drive on
WNSW, Arthur Liu would listen attentively to an offer. I
suspect that WNSW is just a drain on the profits from
Liu's leased-ethnic stations. Leasing out AM drive to
a "general audience" program could be a way of appearing
to keep the faith with the audience he is allegedly
courting while making a buck at the talent's expense.

However, until I hear something different, I'm going to
keep my money on WBBR.

As for WOR's frankness in discussing the reason for
Gambling's departure, I'd call it either dumb or
disingenuous. If the plan is to hang onto the existing
audience and try to use it as a base to build on, the
statement was dumb because it antagonizes the
listenership--not just to what was Gambling's program
but to the whole lineup.

You can bet that in the cutthroat New York market, a
station that senses that WOR's audience is up for grabs
will close in for the kill. #13 may not sound great,
especially when the demos are wrong, but it probably
sounds like heaven to WEVD, WBBR, and WNSW.

If WNSW would proceed with its plans (currently at least
on hold) to move to the WPAT site and increase to 50 kW,
they might even have a competitive signal. Of course,
for that plan to work, the upgrade would have to be
completed sometime before the end of the third
millennium. I wouldn't hold my breath.

On the other hand, the statement might have been a
disingenuous attempt to badmouth Gambling to prevent
some other station from picking him up and attempting to
compete with WOR. If so, why would another station care
what WOR said?

I sure wish that Gene Burns weren't on vacation. He left
WOR in a huff 10 years or so ago and made his way to San
Francisco. I can't imagine that Burns has much love for
certain individuals at WOR, especially our newsgroup
buddy, Rich (that's how it's gotta be because that's how
it is and it wouldn't be that way if it didn't have to
be) Wood. Wood seems fixated on the idea that whoever it
was who had the last good idea had that idea well over
50 years ago. It would be interesting to get Burns's
take on the goings on at WOR.