Re: NYTimes article on John R. Gambling

Although Rambling with Gambling was hosted by three
generations of John Gamblings--John B, John A, and John
R--at least four generations appeared on the program
(could be five if John R has a son John who has
appeared).  John B's father (don't remember his middle
initial--might have been C) appeared with his son every
now and again. John B got his start in radio as a radio
operator on board a merchant ship. He was English by
birth, although I don't recall that he had any sort of
British accent. His father lived in England throughout
World War II, as I recall, and after the war would come
to the US from time to time to visit his son and his
son's family. When the elder Gambling was in New York,
he would usually do a guest shot or two with his son--
something the audience loved. I don't believe the elder
Gambling had any other connection with radio, but he
seemed to enjoy being on the air.

Does anyone else recall that Mr and Mrs John B Gambling
and their children lived in Seacliff L.I. or that John A
Gambling went to Dartmouth and helped to put WDCR on the
air? I suspect that John R also went to Dartmouth and,
assuming that he has children, at least one of them
probably went there or is going there. John A Gambling
also owned WROW in Albany at one time.

And does anyone else remember the seagulls that John B
saw on the beach near his home every day and talked
about on the air? He named one pair--Sebastian and
Marmaduke.

And for Scott Fybush and Bob Bittner (and me--I was born
in Rochester), does anyone else remember the hometown of
John B's orchestra leader, Vincent Sori? Yes, it was
Rochester NY, which much endeared him to my mom, who
grew up in Rochester.

My mother used to like to recount how WOR and John B
Gambling were indirectly responsible for one of my
parents' early marital spats. As I said in a posting
yesterday, my folks were married in 1927. They lived in
New York City and used to listen to John B Gambling
every morning on the Emerson cathedral-top radio that
was one of their first acquisitions after they got
married.

One day, my father had invited _his_ father to their
apartment for dinner after my parents got home from
work. They arrived to find the radio playing loudly.
Apparently in 1927, WOR used to sign off after the
morning show and my mother had absent-mindedly left the
radio on. In these days, we'd think little or nothing of
that, but in 1927, I guess the waste of electricity was
a big deal--or so my father thought.