Re: Expanded Band/ and WMEX Web site alleges that the station has applied for full-time

As far as ex-band goes, no, no, no! WMEX's never-granted expanded-band
application has been moot for years. It was filed years ago by a prior owner
(long before the calls became WMEX or even WJLT). The FCC has never purged
those apps from the public AM database. Everyone who frequents the database
knows that they should just ignore those never-granted ex-band apps. It
would be helpful, however, if the FCC could start updating the database
again. Back on Feb 1, all hell broke loose when the FCC installed a
restructuring and upgrade that was supposed to solve what turned out to be
the nonexistent Y2K problem. The upgrade utterly wrecked the database. The
Commission gradually purged the database of most if not all of the bulls**t
information that appeared during the upgrade. However, in the name of
deploying resources on the more important task of eliminating the erroneous
data, the FCC stopped the regular updates. The updates have never resumed
and there is no indication when they will, though the site does carry an
"assurance" that the updates will resume "in the future." Anyone who held
his breath has long since departed from the ranks of the living.

--

Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@worldnet.att.net
Phone: 1-617-558-4205, eFax: 1-707-215-6367