Re: Northeastern Football Broadcasts-Or The Lack Of Them

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 10:56:10 -0400 "Mark" <markwats@netway.com> writes:

>    I've heard rumblings that WCAP may try to lure the Spinners games
> next
> season. As most of you may be aware, the reason the Spinners landed
> on WCCM
> was Bob Ellis.WCAP owner/GM Maurice Cohen wanted to select his own
> broadcast team,while the Spinners insisted that Bob Ellis call the
> games.Neither side gave in, then WCCM came along and struck a deal
> with the
> team. Given the news of this verbal exchange with Ellis and the
> Spinners'
> GM, it could be interesting to see where the Spinners' games land
> next
> season and who will call the games on the air.

>   Mark Watson

One other aspect to the story of how the Spinners ended up on WCCM as I
understand it, because it pre-dated my employment, the Spinners wanted
Ellis as their play by play man, but also wanted WCAP to hire Ellis
fulltime including the off season something WCAP was unwilling to do.
WCCM was willing to hire Ellis fulltime so the Spinners went to Lawrence.
 I have also heard rumors that Drew and Joanne Webber (Spinner's owners)
are looking to purchase a station for their team!

df
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.