Re: Old Time Radio (OLD INFO)

"David W. Harris" wrote:

> Mr. Bolduc:
>
> You should have no trouble in Derry NH getting WJUL (91.5 Lowell), where
> Wayne Braverman's "Old Time Radio Theater" should return in September to
> the Sunday 6-10 p.m. slot.  In June he let listeners know he was taking
> the summer off but expected to return for his 20-somethingth year of
> "OTRT" after Labor Day.
>
> In spite of the show's name, there are some nights when Mr. Braverman
> makes it through four hours without playing any old time radio shows.
> Movie clips, TV themes, joke commercials, and music are also part of the
> show, as are evaluations of Boston's pro sports teams and politicians in
> the news.  Stick with it--in October you can count on getting a heavy
> dose of mystery shows leading up to the end-of-the-month airing of "The
> War of the Worlds."  It's an idiosyncratic show and I love it all the
> more for that.

Wayne was already a seasoned veteran of the WJUL staff when I started
there in 1980 - I think he was class of 72 and got his Masters there
later in the 70s.  He started Old Tyme Radio Theatre (sic) at the 3-6
pm slot in the mid seventies and moved to the evening position about
ten years ago.  He is
a very nice man with a great deal of talents and insight.  Not
surprised that he'd underestimate his tenure versus bloat it.

He used to host talk programs at WLTI/WJUL and was quite good at it,
in spite of the then less than favorable technologies for talk, e.g.
no hybrids yet and the delay was two bench Scullys used to record and
take up for the delay!  He was one of the early influences in how I
approached da biz...no fun, no point.

Bill O'Neill