Re: WHIL

I recall listening to "Racing from Suffolk Downs" on WHIL in the early
'70s, when Jim Hannon, whose voice was even more gravelly than Babe
Rubenstein's. was calling the races in East Boston.

Suffolk was indeed racing in the dead of winter then -- as it does to
this day -- and during those months the show would be the last thing
aired before signoff, often with the result of the last race
unavailable.

WHIL also aired "Racing from Rockingham Park," with Chic Anderson, in
the summer. Same format -- results from the undercard, then the call of
the feature race.

And in 1972, if I recall correctly, WSMW, Channel 27, aired a replay
show several times a week, hosted by Mike Norton. I remember the entries
in each race being run down by slowly scanning the appropriate page of
the program.

At 16, I'd imagine I may have been the youngest listener/viewer these
shows had.

Howard