Re: WMEX to end all-local talk

Well, it just might be--as others have said--that you're
writing WMEX's obit prematurely. After Dave Faneuf wrote
yesterday that Dr Joy's gig on the WOR network runs from
10:00 to noon (which are the hours when WCAP carries the
show live), it occurred to me that perhaps Dr Joy will
do what Gene Burns has been doing--a Boston-only version
of a show that originates from an out-of-town location.

Of course, WMEX may carry the national show on tape.
Carrying it after WCAP finishes airing it might be
a requirement of WCAP's contract with WOR. As I
understand it, the WOR network does not accept spot
inventory in exchange for its programming. But I think
we must wait until Monday, or maybe Tuesday, to see
whether or not Boston gets a live show. Even if WMEX
normally carries a delayed repeat of the birdfeed,
the kickoff show might be live.

As for WMEX not having commercials--that's bunk.
Initially, all of the spots were national and probably
were almost given away at Web-auction sites for unsold
spot inventory. Now, however, there are also many local
commercials, mostly for restaurants, but also for a shoe
store, a place that sells hardwood flooring, an office-
design firm (this one was probably bartered for
work done on refurbishing the office space that WMEX
occupies), and several other Boston-area businesses.

These, too, may be given away. Who knows? But I'd guess
that the average spot load throughout the day is 12 to
15 minutes per hour. Langer may very well not be
covering expenses (my guess is that he's not) but the
station does have a resonable number of local as well as
national accounts and LOTS of spots (so many in fact,
that Larry Glick complained to Alex Langer about them on
the air when Langer interviewed him and Jerry Williams!)