Re: Verizon coverage and sponsorships (a clarification)

In a message dated 08/20/2000 1:47:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tklaundry@juno.com writes:

<<  Not at all, did your coverage extend beyond 9am or whatever time
    the last morning newscast is scheduled? >>

i wouldn't know...  working overnights and trying to be in bed, at home, in
Maine (So.Portland) puts me out of time and signal range.
   and just in regards to the crash.  it was news when it happened.  whether
or not there was coverage (to which, as i said, i cannot accurately speak),
the story was:  the plane crashed.  it hit a hotel.  there are a bunch of
casualties.    the subsequent "developments" revolved around pure speculation
and hypothesis.  until a final report comes out, the story is no longer news
(IMO).  it's news when it happens.  then when it's beat into the ground, it's
filler.  not to say that continuing coverage is not warranted in all cases,
but in many, it isn't.
   i will, however, tip my hat to you and the other newsies for the way the
Russian Submarine story is being covered.  this is a story that is
continuing.  until somebody says so, it's still a "developing" story.  (this
could also be from my personal "hopes" as an ex-Navy man that somebody might
be pulled out of that thing alive).  and it's interesting in this era of
post-Glasnost at how much more freely information is coming from the
Russians, including the beating the leaders are taking from the Russian
people regarding the slowness of asking for outside help.

    regarding the previous response from Dave, i will take it personally when
it's addressed to me.  if it wasn't meant to be directed AT me, a lowly
overnight jock who takes pride in knowing what's going, and for the record,
who is NOT alone in this regard, then put my name in the "copy" box, okay?
   i have worked with my share of announcers who might be of the sort to
"tape down the alert reset button" (although never with one who personally
did this...), but i have worked with more "announcers" who can not only do
their own jobs, but can also sit down and call the police and fire
departments as well as covering a city council meeting, then providing copy
and/or wraps for use in newscasts by the news anchors.    i don't feel that
"we" are the exception.  if it's Dave's perception that "we" are, then it's
too bad that he's had to work with the "ten" who fit the "don't care" mold.
(the preceeding made possible thanks to a grant from the disc jockey school
of hard knocks)

- -Chuck Igo