What's the Point?

I wonder if the folks at One City Center are questioning their decision to
build a radio station around Lori Voornas.

According to the Associated Press, Arbitron ratings released Thursday show
that WMGX's morning show has improved from the fall ratings period while WTPN
has fallen.  The figures show that the market share for the 25 to 54 age
group for WMGX's morning show grew from an 11.2 share to a 12.8 share from
the fall to spring, and the station remained tops in ratings.   WTPN's
ratings for the same time slot and demographics in the spring dropped to a
2.6 share, which compared to its 3.5 share in the fall, when the station was
known as WCLZ.

I'm sure the people behind the Point expected Lori to take a big bite out of
WMGX's ratings in the morning, but it didn't happen.  If you listen to the
Point, its clear that Lori is the radio station.  All the promotion and
positioning are focused around her.  That may not have been the way to go.

My guess is that a lot of WMGX listeners switched over to the Point when Lori
went on the air but found that Lori unchained made for an undisciplined and
at times, unlistenable show.  Lori can be very funny, but needs structure and
guidance.  At the Point, she has neither and is often more self-involved and
ego driven than Don Imus at his worst.  My recommendation to the Point would
be for them to hire a strong co-host to balance the morning show and provide
some structure.  They also need to work on their music mix.  It's not clear
to me who the target audience they are trying to reach with their music.  Of
course, they could always bring back AAA.  That format got better ratings
without any high priced talent.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

Disclaimer:  I'm doing some fill-in shifts at WMGX this summer and Tim
Wright, the co-host of the WMGX Morning Show, is a friend.  My opinions are
obviously my own and not anyone else's.