Re: WBUR promotes WSJ (a good thing)

Short answer - no, the WSJ does not pay/trade/market etc the interviews on
WBUR's Morning Edition. The agreement between the WSJ and WBUR is a purely
journalistic one - they let the station see some of the stories in advance
and the station decides whether or not they warrant an interview.

In part, that's probably because the WSJ's bureau chief used to be a
reporter at WBUR - and I assume still has some respect for the people
there.

There have been many Wednesdays - (and I speak from personal experience,
having spent the better part of 6 months working on Morning Edition) -
that WBUR has not done a WSJ interview, simply because the stories were
not particularly interesting/newsworthy/etc.

It's no different from WBZ-TV's agreement with the Boston Globe to promote
the next day's paper on the 11 O'Clock news, or WBUR's own agreement with
the Globe and WBZ-TV during the 1994 campaign.

--Scott--

ps - As a side note, it's interesting that you mention Dolores Handy as
one of the people who conduct the interviews. Last week was her first time
ever hosting Morning Edition. Ted O'Brien is the standard fill-in for Bob
when he's away. (Just goes to show the effect a talented host can have on
her listening audience).

Scott J. Saloway
Assistant Producer/On-Air Promotions and Fundraising
WBUR Radio, Boston
saloway@bu.edu
I do not represent Boston University or any other entity.
My opinions are mine and mine alone.