Re: Radio and TV call signs (was WNAB)

On 9 Jul 2000,  Dan Strassberg wrote:

> I believe that WNBT and probably WCBW adopted different calls containing
> the -TV suffix as soon as the FCC stopped requiring TV stations to have
> calls that were distinct from those of co-owned and co-located radio
> stations (that is, when the FCC started to allow the use of the -TV
> suffix). I think it was CBS that lobbied the hardest for that rule change
> because of its situation on the West Coast.

That may have been the case for WCBW, but not for WNBT.  The FCC was
allowing the -TV suffix at least by the time WBZ-TV and WNAC-TV started in
Boston in 1948, and WNBT was still WNBT for quite some time after that.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                        617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                     lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/