Re: Jeff Jacoby

Donna Halper wrote:
<<...I thought they said Jefff Jacoby of the Boston
Globe was suspended for plagiarism.  Anybody know about that?>>

Donna,

   you heard right.  apparently, he did a recent piece (July 3) on the fates
of the signers of the Declaration of Independence (raise your hands if you
deleted at least 20 versions of the same thing in past ten days... i received
my first copy around June 25th or so.).
   the "facts" were apparently used without the proper attribution, ie: not
citing previously published versions of each little tidbit.
   The Globe has issued a four-month suspension and will further review the
situation at that time. (during my two hour drive home to Maine this morning
I had several opportunities to hear the story...)
   once again, we in cyberspace have unwillingly aided and abetted the
propogation of information without attribution.  each time we find something
interesting or funny, we do have a cyber-circle of friends with whom we share
the knowledge or humor.
   this is a case of yet another journalist being brought to task for reading
his e-mail. (Barnicle's column was almost verbatum of an e-mail variation of
the George Carlin originals; he interspersed a few of his own"idle thoughts"
amid some "idle Carlin thoughts".  i had, and still receive to this day, the
same e-mail Mike no doubt got and used.  i've often wondered if Mike had
offered to "share" some things he found funny in his e-mail box if he'd still
be working two doors down at Morrissey Blvd.)
    whether or not Mr. Jacoby knew that there were "original published
origins" of each fact included in the e-mail (and this is purely an
assumption on my part), it appears the Globe would have prefered attritbution
for each.

full story at the Boston Globe online:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/190/living/Op_ed_columnist_Jacoby_suspended_
for_misconduct_+.shtml