Re: Vikings upset Karmazin

Years and years ago (I have no idea when--the 70s,
maybe), Cox acquired KFI, arguably the best AM facility
in the US. There were still Class IA clear-channel
stations at the time and KFI was one. Moreover, KFI is
on 640 kHz, the lowest frequency of any such station in
the US. If I recall, the selling price was $110 million,
which I believe was the highest price ever paid up to
that time for any US radio station. In the interim,
station prices (on average) went down, and more recently
_way_ up. However, I'm not sure that AM station prices
are as high as they were when Cox acquired KFI. So I
find it hard (albeit not impossible) to believe that WBZ
would fetch more than $199 million in today's market. If
you told me $80 million, I'd say that it sounded
reasonable.

One way to get a rough idea of WBZ's current market
value is to look at recent station sales. I believe that
_very_ recently (within the past few months) Cox sold
KFI. I have no idea of the price, but I don't think it
was anywhere near $200 million. If you know or can find
the most recent KFI price, considering the relative
sizes of the LA and Boston markets, it should serve as a
(very high) upper limit on the value of WBZ.