Re: Vikings upset Karmazin

--- Dan Strassberg <Dan.Strassberg@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> WBCN changed hands most recently maybe three years ago. I thought it was
> that same deal that brought WZLX to Infinity. The acquiring company had to
> assign values to each acquired property, because it acquired several
> stations at the same time as a package. I distinctly remember that the value
> assigned to WBCN was $97 million--the most ever paid at the time (and I
> think still) for a radio property in the Boston market. I don't know what
> value was assigned to WZLX, which at the time, wasn't quite as highly rated.
> So, although the two properties are technically equivalent, WZLX probably
> went for a bit less ($80 million?).

Try $199 million for WBCN-FM and $135 million for WZLX-FM. That was
in 1996 when Westinghouse/CBS bought Infinity. Yes, WBCN's pricetag
was the highest for any Boston radio property up to this point.
The third highest price? Probably a tie between Kiss and Mix. In 1995,
WXKS-FM was sold by Pyramid to Evergreen for $79 million but that
price included AM 1430. WBMX-FM was valued at $75 million(in the CBS
merger) when ARS cashed out in 1998.

WBCN is surely the highest valued FM station in town, but WBZ-AM
is probably the highest valued station overall.

Mark