Re: Vikings upset Karmazin

But Mel is out to maximize profits THIS QUARTER. As far
as I know, that's as far as he's ever been able to see.
He'll take care of next quarter (let alone next year)
when they roll around. Alas, the strategy has always
worked for him so I'm sure he sees no reason to change
and lots of reasons not to change.

But you have to wonder whether he wouldn't have made a
lot more money for his various companies if he had, say,
sunk money into FM for a lot of years when it was not
yet in fashion instead of paying a not-so-small fortune
to acquire FM properties when they became hot.

I know, I know. Before FM became hot he could have
acquired a maximum of seven FMs. But at the price
Infinity paid for WBCN, that was $700 million worth of
stations that he could have gotten for maybe $7 million
30 years earlier. Even if you take the time value of
money into account, I think his companies--if they
existed 30 years ago--would have been way ahead.