Re: Thursday Night Countdown Chart

   Dave Faneuf wrote:

> I don't know if they have expanded their playlist or not, but I know when
> I was there Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were not in the rotation,
> and nothing by Ed Ames was ever in the rotation, so yes history is
> re-written to fit the music they play because they won't play anything in
> the countdowns that isn't in the rotation, that includes the old listener
> voted top 500 list.

   I have heard "Penny Lane" on Oldies 103.3 a few times in the past few
months or so.Don't recall hearing the flipside,"Strawberry Fields Forever"
however.

   BTW,the number 1 song on the 3/2/68 countdown that Roger Kirk made
reference to in his post was "Love Is Blue" by Paul Mauriat and his
orchestra.It was also number 1 on the Billboard Top 100 chart that same
week.I have never heard "Love Is Blue" played on Oldies 103.3 any other
time.That same 1968 countdown featured "Just Dropped In To See What
Condition My Condition Was In" by Kenny Rogers and the First
Edition,another song I don't recall being played (unless it's dayparted for
every third Tuesday of the week between 3:20 and 3:55AM <g>).I believe that
whatever is in the top 20 for the week that is being featured should be
played in the show,regardless of whether it's in rotation or not.The
countdown is a look back at what the biggest hits were,I don't believe that
music chart history should be rewritten to fit a playlist.The countdown
show IMHO is a specialty program, just as Little Walter's"Time Machine" is
one,and I'm sure a fairly good percentage of what Walter plays on his show
is not in regular rotation.

   I know that WCBS-FM in New York also does a similar weekly countdown,I
believe on Saturday afternoon leading in to Cousin Brucie's Request Party.I
wonder if they rewrite music history with their countdowns? I did hear one
a few years back while driving through the NYC Metro area.It was for
whatever week it was in 1968."Delilah" by Tom Jones and "Summertime Blues"
by Blue Cheer were both in this countdown.Both never heard on Oldies
103.3.Probably never will,either.

 Mark Watson