Re: Allston-Brighton Free Radio

I hate to rain on Steve Provizer's parade but I believe
that he has some very strange substance in the pipe he's
smoking. I just made a simple calculation that, if
correct, shows that his 100 mW station on 1580 will be
doing very well indeed to be heard as far as 1 km (about
0.6 miles) on a _good_ radio (such as a GE Super Radio
III).

Assuming that his makeshift transmitting antenna meets
the FCC's minimum efficiency requirements for Class B AM
stations (an extremely optimistic assumption for a
rooftop long-wire antenna), Provizer's station will have
an inverse-distance field of 189 microvolts/meter at 1
km. The inverse-distance field is the field that would
be achieved if the ground were perfectly conductive. At
those short distances, salt water would be a reasonable
approximation, but I don't know of the existence of any
salt water near Brighton Center--unless its in the
lobster tank of some restaurant.

Moreover, 189 microvolts/meter is a very weak signal.
The FCC calls 500 microvolts/meter the limit of an AM
station's primary daytime service area. In a low
electrical-noise environment, a 500 microvolt/meter AM
signal is clearly audible on a decent radio, but
Brighton is not a low-noise environmant. Moreover, at
1.5 miles, the signal would be only about 75
microvolts/meter. At 2.5 miles, the signal would be less
than 50 microvolts/meter. To receive a signal of that
level, you need a communications receiver--or something
close to it. And, again, those figures assume a perfect
ground.

In an urban environment, the ground is not highly
conductive. And it seems most unlikely that the
transmitting antenna will come anywhere near the minimum
efficiency for a Class B AM. Such an antenna would
require a tower slightly over 100' high (somewhat
shorter with top loading) and a ground system of 120
radials extending about 150' in all directions from the
antenna or an equivalent electrically resonant
(counterpoise) ground. There are other unusual
constructions, such as so-called Paran antennas, that
provide the same efficiency with much less height (about
40' at 1580 kHz) but, contrary to what the zealots
claim, these structures do require good grounds to work
properly.