Re: Question

At 07:11 PM 3/9/00 -0500, lglavin@lycosmail.com wrote:

>I went to the 'Actions' and 'Applications' page on
>Elliot to catch up on changes already happening
>or looming.  I have one question:
>what do they mean by the phrase "License to Cover"?
>I will be filled with immeasurable dollops of
>gratitude for the answer.

Other people around here can probably answer this better than I can, but
since no one has done so yet, I'll try.  For a new station, or any other
facilities change, the FCC first issues a construction permit.  When the
construction is done, and things are working, they then issue a licence to
cover the construction permit.  In other words, a license to operate under
the facility that was constructed pursuant to the construction permit.

A CP apparently confers some authority to broadcast "program tests," which
at least sometimes seems to be indistinguishable from regular
programming.  But sometimes, for one reason or another, the license is
denied and the station must go off the air.  This apparently happened to a
station in Albany, N.Y. in the 1950s, in what seems to be a classic case
that has been discussed around here from time to time.

  A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                     617.367.0468
  15 Court Square                              lawyer@world.std.com
  Boston, MA 02108-2503      http://world.std.com/~lawyer/