Re: Radio Announcer's comments

As an eternally opinionated radio fan.....

I always come out in the middle of these PC debates (thus annoying
everyone, but remember that since I'm a lawyer, by nature I always annoy
everyone).

In this day and age of "shock jocks," I think it's nice -- and a tribute to
his character -- that he made not only an apology but an apology that rings
with sincerity, while not abandoning his own opinion. Anyone calling for
more than that is way out of line, and in many cases, I'm sure, swept up in
the emotion of a cause they believe (and which well may be) just. So many
jocks try to offend... it's obvious this one didn't. Keep your cause,
folks, and protest all you like, but recognize a sincere apology from
somebody who actually cares about offending people when you see it. Doing
so actually helps your cause.

By the way... keep the Atlanta Braves, but end the tomahawk chop; rename
the Florida State Seminoles, put he "squaw town" names up to municipal
referendum, and fer gosh sakes take down the Confederate flags on State
buildings. :)

At 08:22 AM 3/5/00 -0500, Chuckigo@aol.com wrote:

>in defense of Stu, a fine broadcaster and a nice guy, as well, (as evidenced
>by his willingness to apologize as necessary, as quoted in the article),
this
>"phrase" was brought up by a caller to John MacDonald's WGAN Saturday show
>two weeks ago. (the idea of calling the new dollar coin a "squawbuck")
just
>out of curiosity, where was the hue and cry and deluge upon the studios of
>Western Avenue in South Portland?  the show Mr. MacDonald hosted was, as
>usual, well rounded with opinions expressed from both sides, including those
>of native Americans.

Douglas J. Broda
Broda and Burnett
Attorneys at Law