Re: (Pushing) The Envelope Please

The most remarkable thing about that story is that it
refers to a fictitious station called WILD. But when
Boston's _real_ WILD debuted in the late 50s, it did so
in a manner not all that dissimilar from the stunt the
article describes. The debut of WILD (ex-WBMS, then just
purchased and renamed by Bartell Family Media of WOKY
and KCBQ fame) was preceded by a two- or three-day
saturation spot campaign that ran on probably half a
dozen other Boston stations. What was being advertised
was never made clear in the spots. Had it been, the
stations that ran the spots would, of course, never have
accepted them. The spots simply said, in a very sultry
famale voice "Everyone in OLD Boston is going
wild|wild|wild|wild." The Monday morning after the
campaign ended, the new calls, a new top-40 format, and
an air-staff that had never before been heard in Boston
debuted at 1090.

I have no idea how effective the campaign was. Bartell
didn't own WILD all that long. The next owner was Nelson
Noble, who brought in Bill Marlowe, Stan Richards, and
Joe Smith. When that ended, I believe what followed was
the forerunner of the current urban programming.