Re: Could we see ABC's Prime-Time Stanley Cup Finals Games Start at 9:05 P.M.?

--- PublicRef2 <norwood@mln.lib.ma.us> wrote:
> I believe--but I'm not 100% certain--that games 1, 4, and if needed 5,
> 6, and 7 would be on ABC with games 1 and 4 being Sunday-afternoon
> matinees.

The first two games will be on ESPN. The last five on ABC...

> Because the NHL has yet to become a major TV sports attraction, ABC may
> decide that moving the games back to 9 P.M. and showing "Millionaire" at
> 8 might deliver a large lead-in viewership to those games.

Doubt it. They'd might go with a half-hour version of WWTBAM on
those nights or not use Regis as a lead-in at all. I'd say they'll
drop the puck with a 8:15pm face-off...

> Given the NHL's woes concerning TV, I think they'd go along with it
> because they'll need every viewer they can attract as a result of a
> "Millionaire" lead-in.

To ABC's credit, they're doing a fantastic job of cross-promoting
NHL during their prime-time and sports programming. Somthing that
FBC didn't bother with when they held the rights. This year's
NHL All-Star game ratings on ABC were 19% compared to last
year's on Fox...

NHL references now pop up more frequently on ABC, such as on an
episode on the Spin City sitcom where a character was shown going
on Who Wants to  Be a Millionaire, and ends up being asked a question
about the NHL...Also, you can catch a number of NHL promos during
NYPD and WWWTAB. I even caught one during The View(overnights on ch.5)...
This week, Regis asked a contestant to name the last helmetless player
in the NHL(Craig McTavish)..the contestant wasted a couple of lifelines
to get it right....

-Mark