Re: 1290 WCCC/West Hartford

I think WAQY (AM) is still on the air. WWRL was granted
a waiver of the co-channel overlap requirements with
WAQY. Somewhere in the vicinity of Hartford, WAQY's
0.025 mV/m contour used to overlap WWRL's new 0.5 mV/m
contour. Thus WAQY "interfered" with WWRL's expanded
daytime coverage. However, WAQY then requested, and was
granted a reduction in its daytime power to 2.5 kW ND.
(WAQY uses 2.5 kW at night, but is directional at
night.) With all the money WWRL threw at other stations
to go dark or accept interference (there was a deal with
WARV Warwick RI as well), WWRL may have chosen to grease
WAQY's palm also. I think the rules say that whatever
contour is interference-free with respect to one station
becomes the protected contour for all stations. So
WWRL's interference-free contour was established by
interference from WAQY. This interference probably
significantly reduced the population within WWRL's
protected contour. WWRL may have seen this as opening
the door to incursions by other stations and therefore
struck a deal with WAQY to head them off. I'm only
guessing that that's what happened, but it seems like a
reasonable guess.