WGY now non-directional but not always?

All the scuttlebut about the histories of WTIC-AM and
WBT-AM and how they arrived at their present facilities
set off a little light-bulb in my brain.  I remeber
travelling the NY Thruway West a very long time ago
as a passenger in a friend's car.  This allowed me time
to scope out the terrain for AM towers.  Unless my
eyes deceived me (and they were very good then) I'm
sure that I say the tower(s) of WGY. licensed to
Schenectady, NY but physically in Scootia I believe.
Anyway, I'd swear that the station had at least two
towers indicating a directional array at least at night.
I've been by there a few times recently and there's just
one not-very-imposing tower indicating NDA all hours.
Would a broadcast historian/techie elucidate on the
history of 810 AM (and has it always BEEN 810?) I'm
curious about this station because it's my source for
news during my jaunts to the Berkshires. (WAMC
can't ake the place of WBUR)

Laurence from Methuen

Get free personalized email at http://email.lycos.com