Re: WTIC (AM) anniversary broadcast

At least two of the towers you saw at the WBT site must
have been specially made. The originals were destroyed
in a hurricane (not sure exactly when, but maybe as late
as the 70s) and were replaced with exact replicas. I
suspect that Blaw-Knox was still in existance, and
though I doubt whether the "diamond" towers were still
in their catalog, I'm sure they could have built some
for the right price.

1110 in Pasadena has been on 1110 longer than KFAB and
its forbears. Interestingly, after KFAB appeared on
1110, the Pasadena station had to jump through hoops to
protect KFAB. Modifications to the DA went on for years
and years and never really worked. This has to be an
unusual situation because older stations are usually
grandfathered.

As for 1110 in Tijuana, that's odd. I know that KFWB's
increase to 50 kW is supposed to make room for a low-
powered station in Tijuana or some other nearby Mexican
community, but, back in the 40s, I don't think anyone
would have tried to put high-powered co-channel stations
only 100 or so miles apart in that region of salt water
and excellent ground conductivity. Also, although the
Mexicans have never been terribly concerned about
adjacent-channel interference on AM, 1090 and 1110 are
probably too close for high-powered stations in the same
community--even in Mexico.