Re: When a station in ME burned down..and some iced up

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:25:58 -0500 "terry_wood" <terry_wood@prodigy.net>
writes:
> No, the AM tower still Stands Tall in the Salt Marsh.  It was the old
> FM
> antenna that came down.....It was replaced with a much taller
> Antenna
> Behind the Shopping Center next Door.

(anal-retentive geek-mode on)

I believe you're mistaken- when I was at WHEB in the early 90's, they
tore down the AM stick in the marsh... I remember seeing them bring down
the top beacon and put it in engineer Ken Neenan's office. Ken told me at
the time that the tower was becoming a hazard from all the years of salt
corrosion- plus, with the AM dark, they didn't wanna bother to light it
anymore.

The 219' old FM still stands, I believe, as an STL tower for the other
properties in the building.
Interesting factoid... they actually microwave the WHEB signal (audio and
xmtr controls) to the newer 500' tower... even though it's less than a
quarter mile away on their own property!

(resuming normal geek mode)
-Rick Ganley

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.