Re: All-News Radio Format

    Stephen Pickford wrote:

> As many of you are well aware, CIQC Montreal transformed into CINW
940NEWS
> back in mid-December...
> and has been met with a number of less-than-pleased commentaries in The
> Montreal Mirror, on radiodigest.com, etc.
>
> My question is the following:  Is it common for all-news stations to
> advertise as being "24-hours, constantly-updated"...then run a taped
> newscast overnights (i.e. between Midnight and 5AM or so)...time checks
are edited out )

  WBZ runs 2 minutes of ABC news at the top of the hour between Midnight
and 4AM,followed by a minute of taped local headlines recorded by the
anchor who does the night shift,at :03 a live traffic report,then weather
and back to the live overnight talk.One would guess if a major news story
occured during the overnight,the live talk host could update,along with ABC
and CBS network coverage,of which WBZ is affiliated with both.I'm sure if
it was a major local story that warranted it,WBZ reporters would hopefully
be called in to cover and report live as needed.What would happen in
Montreal in a similar situation?

> Listening to WCBS, WBBM, etc., at night, and I notice much more of a
local
> news focus and more detailed stories with home market relevance, than
what
> is taking place currently in Montreal...
> has anyone tuned in CINW at night down in New England, and how do you
think
> this station compares with the other 50kw news outlets?

  I only tuned in briefly,when they first signed on,just for a quick
listen.I can't fairly judge CINW's programming efforts.I do agree that
WCBS,WBBM,and WINS do offer more local and regional coverage,and I know
that the two NY stations are live 24/7,I think WBBM was at one time,haven't
tuned them in overnights in a while to verify if they still are.

 Mark Watson