Re: LPFM Rules

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Robert Smith wrote:

> I live in southern NH and listen frequently to Boston FMs.  I am however well
> outside the 70 dBu of those stations.  I'm sure I won't be happy if some LPFM
> makes it impossible for me to listen to Boston in the future, but I don't see
> much that can be done at this point.

Call your congressman.

> The NAB may not tackle this thinking that it's not PC to fight for big
> business and against community groups, minority organiztions, schools
> and churches.  It's a tough call.

The stations which will be hurt the most by the relaxation of interference
protection are the independents. Big business can always afford to buy up
sources of interference or other stations to simulcast stations subject to
interference. Independents have no such options.

It seems to me that listeners have not been heard from in this debate. If
a congressman receives 1,000 letters from listeners, I suspect he will be
more willing to take on churches and the like than if it is only Mel
Karmazin and his ilk doing the protesting.

Rob Landry
umar@nerodia.wcrb.com