Re: AM (was Re: LPFM Rules)

In a message dated 02/02/2000 9:28:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
djbroda@mindspring.com writes:

<< The loss of live and local (or at least local). The loss of
semi-inteligent talk from at least something close to a wide variety of
perspectives and approaches. >>

amen.  but with a question as well.

is it simply our percerption that there is a loss in either quality or
variety?  at most, in the not so distant past, Boston, in particular, had a
few stations doing talk, but only part-time (WEEI/WHDH/WBZ).
 then, when WRKO went all talk, it jumped in with both feet, giving the local
area hosts well versed in the area and the issues.  yes, through budget cuts
and such, the "bird feed" became a staple.  but aren't we still kind of where
we were just a short time ago?  instead of Jessup, Benzaquin, The Huddle,
Glick and Brudnoy, we have a few different hosts, all capable of holding
forth on their areas of expertise and interest.  Plus, we still have David!
   seems to me that we've got more talk variety than ever before, and
unfortunately, as is the nature of the beast, the hosts we might perceive as
high-quality are more often than not up against each other.

- -Chuck Igo