Re: Framingham reception of WMEX a little too clear...

Not only is correcting the problem the _right_ thing for
the station to do, the FCC requires that new or modified
AMs resolve all complaints of interference within the 1
V/m contour for the first year after the modified
operation goes on the air. Although the story about 1510
may be exaggerated, remediation of problems near the
site on the Waltham-Belmont line reportedly cost the
then owners (Mariner Communications?) about $1 million.

The part of the MetroWest Daily News story that I find
particularly fascinating, though, is the quote in which
Langer refers to the station as having increased to _20
kW_ (not 40) two weeks ago. You may recall my posts in
which I said that the FCC might require WMEX to operate
at half power until a license to cover is granted. The
reference to 20 kW might mean that that is precisely
what is going on, or it may be a slightly mistaken
reference to the 22-kW CH operation, or it might be a
misquote, or...