Re: R.I.P., Jim Pansullo

I'm not sending this through my regular E-Mail sercver. To respond,
reply to: <notquite@hotmail.com>. Thanks!

Although the obituary on Jim Pasullo suggested that his first stop in
Boston was at the old WHDH, I had, photocopied off a microfilm page from
the Boston Public Library when I did some research there a few years
back, a radio listings page from the Boston Globe circa 1954 or 1955 (I
don't have the page in front of me at the moment) that noted a Jim
Pansullo as an announcer at WVDA.

One other note about Jim Pansullo was that he was the "color" man during
the radio broadcast of perhaps the most famous single game in Boston
Celtics' history: Game 7 of the 1965 NBA eastern Conference finals
against the Philadelphia 76ers at Boston Garden. If you have the album
"Havlicek Stole The Ball!" (featuring excerpts of WHDH radio coverage of
Celtics' playoff games between 1957 and 1966), you'll hear an extended
excerpt of the final moments of that 1965 game, and Johnny Most says at
one point : "Time Out On The Floor, Time In for Jim Pansullo", who then
analyzes the situation. That broadcast excerpt also featured, on-mike,
the spotter/stat man (who during the regular-season was a basketball
coach at St. Amselm's College).

Today, of course, the analyst role would usually be taken up by a former
NBA or major-college player.

Does anyone on this list (Donna Halper, perhaps?) know if Pansullo
played some basketball (youth? high-school?) at some point prior to
becoming a broadcaster? If he did, that might be a reason why he did
color on Celtics' broadcasts during that era.

I would think that because of his other duties at WHDH at the time that
Pansullo only went on the road with the Celts during the playoffs.

Joseph Gallant
Reply to: <notquite@hotmail.com>