Re: VPR on 1370 Bennington

On 25 Jan 00,  Sptseditor@aol.com wrote:

> Why has Massachusetts never had a public radio network? Since everything is
> so Boston-centered? I would think that some of the small college stations
> across the area, especially the state colleges (Salem, Framingham,
> Bridgewater, Worcester, Westfield, what used to be North Adams, etc.) would
> like to have something to fill up the late-night hours.

There aren't all that many public radio stations to band together.  WBUR
and its affiliates is in competition with WGBH and won't join together.
OTOH, when WFCR first started, it was a simulcast of WGBH, even including
a joint ID.

When I started at UMass in 1963, WMUA had just gotten a new board.  I
later visited WFCR, which was then located in a room in the School of
Education, and was told that their board was the one that WMUA had
replaced.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/