Re: ICRAVETV

On 25 Jan 00,  TC Cheever wrote:

> Should be interesting. Maybe one of the attorneys on list could venture a
> guess to this: what authority, if any, would a decision in a US Federal
> court carry against a Canadian corporation?

A Canadian corporation can certainly be sued in the U.S., if it does
business here.  Whether a judgment against it would be honored in Canada
depends on Canadian law, and I don't know the answer to that, but a
judgment against a Canadian corporation can be enforced against its assets
in the United States.

The question is whether they are violating US copyright law by putting up
a Website in Canada which complies with Canadian law.  On the other hand,
I notice that it has a U.S. Dot-Com address, rather than a Canadian Dot-CA
address.  That may be significant.  Applying traditional law to the
Internet is still a new area, and it develops as cases arise and are
decided.

Then again, I've always wondered how a U.S. court could exercise
jurisdiction over Manuel Noriega for acts which he committed in Panama.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                 617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                             lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503              http://world.std.com/~lawyer/